She was born in Palazzolo della Stella - Udine - in 1927. Graduated in 1953 from the Polytechnic of Milan, from 1955 to 1965 is in the drafting of Casabella under Ernesto Rogers-Continuity. Since 1956 engaged in the business professional in Milan, which includes architectural design, interior and industrial design, theater set design.
In January 2005 he founded the Gae Aulenti Associates Architects. After the completion of the Musée d'Orsay in Paris (1980-86) and the refurbishment of the Musée National d'Art Moderne at the Centre Pompidou (1982-85), oversaw the renovation of the Palazzo Grassi in Venice (1985-86) and as a result of the construction here of numerous exhibitions, from "Futurismi & Futurism" (1986) to "From Puvis de Chavannes to Matisse and Picasso. Towards the Modern Art "(2002).
Recent projects include:
- The new access to the station Santa Maria Novella in Florence (1990);
- Italy Palazzo at EXPO '92 in Seville - the new Temporary Exhibition Gallery at the Milan Triennale (1994);
- The exhibition "The Italian Metamorphosis, 1943-1968" at the Guggenheim Museum in New York (1994);
- The restructuring of the Government Palace of the Republic of San Marino (1991-1996);
- "Oberdan" in Milan, the new home of the Italian Film Archive Foundation (1999);
- The restructuring of the former papal stables at the Quirinale in Rome, new venue for temporary exhibitions opened the exhibition "One Hundred Masterpieces from the Hermitage. Impressionists and avant-garde "(1999);
- The redevelopment of the square Cadorna in Milan (2000);
- The exhibition "Made in Italy 1951-2001? Memory "at the Milan Triennale (2001);
- Stations "Museum" and "Dante" Metro Cavour and the redesign of the streets and Dante in Naples (1999-2002).
- The new Asian Art Museum of San Francisco (on behalf of international competition won in 1996 in association with its joint venture HOK / LDA / RWA in San Francisco) was opened in March
- The National Museum of Catalan Art in Barcelona was completed in December 2004 with the opening of the part devoted to the art of the twentieth century. Were inaugurated in 2005:
- The headquarters of the Italian Institute of Culture in Tokyo;
- The Palavela in Turin, home of figure skating and short-track for 2006 Winter Olympic Games;
- Piazza San Giovanni in Gubbio.
- In 2009, Swank Showroom, and the Beijing Municipal Library Paderno Dugnano.
Are in progress: - the creation of "City Studies" in Biella, with a branch campus of the Polytechnic of Turin - the architectural design of the new lakeside Meina (Novara), - the extension of two plants generating electricity from municipal solid waste in the province of Rimini and Forlì - the expansion project of Perugia. Among the latest projects in progress: - Library and Cultural Center Paderno Dugnano (MI), - the restoration of Palazzo Branciforte in Palermo - the project for the new airport of Aosta - the restructuring and recovery of the Palace to Vetus Alexandria - the Piazza Mario Pagano power - the proposed extension of the Art Gallery at Monza.
Among the most recent construction projects shows: - "1950-2000: Theater of Italian Creativity" (New York, October 2003) - "Giorgio De Chirico. Gladiators 1927-1929 "(Villa Litta Panza in Menafoglio Biumo-Varese, October 2003) - the new layout for the Este Castle of Ferrara, conceived as a narrative that traces the history of the castle open to the public in March 2004 with two exhibits "A court in the Renaissance" and "The dressing room of alabaster - Antonio Lombardo and sculpture fashioned" - In 2004 the exhibition "Arts & Architecture 1900-2000" at Palazzo Ducale, Genoa. In 2007 the construction of the Pavilion of the Campania Region of the fair "Vinitaly" in Verona. "Giorgio Morandi, collectors and friends" (Villa Litta Panza in Menafoglio Biumo-Varese, September 2008). Awards: - "Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur" (Paris, 1987) - Honorary Member of the American Institute of Architects - Hon. FAIA (1990) - Praemium Imperiale for Architecture The Japan Art Association (Tokyo, 1991) - "Grand Cross" of Merit of the Italian Republic (Rome, 1995) - an honorary degree from the Rhode Island School of Design (Providence, USA 2001).
She was invited as a jury member for international competitions "at the New National Museum of Korea, Seoul;" TAV-New High Speed Train Station of Florence "and" The Grand Egyptian Museum, Giza-Cairo. "