Martinelli Luce was founded in 1950 thanks to the intuition and the desire of Elio Martinelli to build his own lighting fixtures to be used in commercial establishments that took care of the design. So he begins to create a vast production of lamps for interiors, with more and more attention for different contest: residential and commercial spaces.
Martinelli Luce devices are characterized by an essential design and originality of projects, elements that from three generations are the basis of factory’s philosophy.
Elio Martinelli, inspired by nature and geometry, creates functional lighting fixtures, highly innovative lighting design and products with materials according to their intrinsic characteristics. Were born in this way different lamps as the Foglia, the Bolla, the Serpente, the Millepiedi, the Dobermann, the Le Rondini, the Nuvole Vagabonde. Simple shapes but with a deep meaning that have marked the history of design, always in demand. Some of these devices, as Cobra, designed by Elio Martinelli along with others like the Pipistrello and the Ruspa designed by architect Gae Aulenti, are kept in the most important design museums.
Year after year the range of Martinelli Luce becomes more rich of new lamps as the Poliedro, the Profiterolle, the Shanghai system, the Colibrì, the Circular, the Lunaop, the Elica, the Calabrone, the Fluida, the Cyborg, and many others always with a good number of historical products as an expression of Italian design of the 60s and 70s, for presenting a modern and important collection.
They have collaborated and collaborates with Martinelli Luce: Gae Aulenti, Sergio Asti, Studio Orlandini, Marc Sadler, Luc Ramael, Studio Lucchi & Biserni, Angelo Micheli, Michel Bouquillon, Karim Rashid, Brian Sironi, Marco De Santi – Studio Natural, Studio 4P1B, Adolini+Simonini Associati and many others.
The Martinelli Luce offers in addition to the lamps for the home, a wide range of technical systems designed for lighting offices, shops, cinema hall, hotels, museums, commercial area and outdoor lamps, using light sources with technology applied to the optimization of energy efficiency.
Martinelli Luce has always been present at various trade fairs in Italy and abroad. The advertising has a crucial importance for the company, promoting their business through the main magazines.
Over the years Martinelli Luce has received several awards, the latest include:
- For the lamp Elica the prize iF PRODUCT DESIGN GOLD AWARD 2010 and COMPASSO D'ORO in 2011
- For the Colibrì series the prize iF PRODUCT DESIGN AWARD 2011 and iF PRODUCT DESIGN AWARD 2013
- For the lamp Toy the prize iF PRODUCT DESIGN AWARD 2011 and ADI DESIGN INDEX 2011
- For the lamp Fluida the prize YOUNG&DESIGN 2013, ADI DESIGN INDEX 2015 and HONOURABLE MENTION - COMPASSO D’ORO 2016
- For the lamp Circular Pol XXL the prize iF PRODUCT DESIGN AWARD 2014
- For the lamps Colibrì and Lunaop the prize iF PRODUCT DESIGN AWARD 2015
- For the lamp Condor the prize iF PRODUCT DESIGN AWARD 2016
- For the lamp Calabrone the prize iF PRODUCT DESIGN AWARD 2016 and Archiproducts Design Awards - BEST OF CATEGORY 2016
Emiliana Martinelli, who heads the company for many years, joined by his son Marco, carries on the design inspired by the same principles of his father, but introduces new elements that are formal and technological Martinelli Luce to retain a significant position among the industries of the sector.